Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My Fried Rice

This is my homemade fried rice which my boys love a lot. Actually fried rice is easy to cook, but just a few tips to keep in mind.

Tip 1: Use previously chilled leftover rice
To get the perfect fried rice, it is better to use yesterday left over rice as it is less starchy because it has dry out a bit in the refrigerator. Sometimes if I do not have any leftover rice, I will cook the rice and let it cool down for around 1 hour before I fried it.  The heat of the pan and the seasoning like soy sauce will re-steam leftover rice. Using freshly cooked, hot rice, the end results will be too much moisture in the rice and the fried rice will be sticky and lumpy.

Tip 2: Use High heat
Keep the rice moving in the frying pan so that every grain is tossed well with both the seasoning and ingredients.

Method:
For me, I would fried the eggs first, next I would dump in all the other ingredients that I had. After frying for 1 to 2 minutes and making sure that the ingredients are almost cooked, I add in the rice. Toss the rice to mix it  evenly with all of the ingredients. Lastly, drizzle soya sauce on the rice and toss it again to make sure all the rice is even coated with the soya sauce. Dish up and enjoy.

For the fried Ikan Billis, it was fried separately. 

Since my boys love it plain, normally the ingredients I would add for their fried rice would be hot dog, ham, crab meat, fishcake or crisp silver fish.

6 comments:

  1. for some reason i prefer to prep fresh rice. I hate having to chopchopchop the dry up cold rice! Maybe my ricecooker in usa cheapskate so the rice will be dryer than usual? Don't know leh, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I normally clingwrap the leftover rice and put in the fridge, so the rice still not that hard when I take out of the fridge the next day. I once heard from my neighbour that she also likes to use freshly cooked rice to fried rice, but just that she will add in lesser water when cooking the rice so that the rice will be drier.

      Delete
  2. For me I usually use fresh rice but lesser water and cook the rice in the morning if I am going to fry in the adternoon. The reason I didn't use overnight rice is scare got' 风" haha. But if got leftover rice that night I will sure to keep for fried rice and I will add rice wine when I fry..
    Lucas mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, the only worry is that whether eating overnight rice will cause wind or not. But seeing that my boys has no problem with it, I just go ahead. Last time, my fried rice is lumpy and sticky and taste really yucky, it's your sister who taught me how to prepared this yummy fried rice. ^^ I never add wine before, will give it a try next time. (^0^), it the wine hua tiao jiu?

      Delete
  3. Ya my sis use overnight rice. But hubby stomach no good, so I didn't use. I use 米酒,those confinement rice wine. I ordered few bottles just for normal cooking. I will add in to stir dry vege oso..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ic, I don't keep stock of those confinement 米酒, but adding the normal 白米酒 also quite nice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers