Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Homeschooling week 25th & 26th (11-24 October 2010)

coverSince this is a very long post, I decided to split into 2 parts to shorten the lengthy post. Sometimes I get very lazy to update our homeschooling progress, as I need to edit so many pictures and trying to recall the detail to include in the post. Nevertheless, here is what we did for the past 2 weeks.

Our learning Chart: The theme that we are doing for these 2 weeks is rainbow. Beside that I also introduce the word Colour to Javier. I got most of my printable and idea from here.

Vocabulary learnt are Raisins, Radishes, Rabbit and Rocket.

Song – A Rainbow Song

 Learning Alphabets: We did 4 activities pertaining to learning letter R which includes Dot art, Letter Tracing and Letter R huntDoing dot a art For letter R and rainbow. He loves doing dot dot art (as what he called it) Letter Tracing: He is getting much better in his fine motor skill. After showing 1 time, he can trace the letter by himself.Letter Hunt: He can spot all the letter himself and he even want to circle it himself.

Poem we read: Due to the lengthy poem which I have prepare, Javier was not interested in it at all. But he would still sit down and let me finish the whole poem, but I can see that he is paying attention when I am reading.

Craft Time - We did alot of rainbow related crafts and we sure have fun doing it. We are so pleased with our finished work as it is so colourful! Craft No.1: The dot dot rainbowWe used our dot marker to create the colourful rainbow. Javier had such great fun doing with me. On the next day, he asked me whether he can do another dot art rainbow which of course I say ‘yes’!!!!  Craft no.2: Paper Collage rainbowBeing lazy to look for the colour paper in the old magazine, I just used the construction paper for this craft. So togather, me and Javier tear the paper into small little pieces.

I noticed that to young kids, it is not easy for them to tear paper. Practically they are trying to pull apart the paper instead of tearing it. So I demonstrated a few times to Javier before he grasp the technique to tear. He still need practice to improve on this skill. A good training for fine motor skill.

He enjoyed this craft, because he like to paste and play with glue, and this craft give him ample of chance to paste the paper.

Craft No.3: A Rainbow RFor this craft, it is a great to teach about colour and at the same time to practice his cutting skill. All the paper stripes are cut by Javier with a little assistance from me.After cutting the stripe, Javier would glue  it to the white paper. So the final step would be done by me. That is cutting out a letter R. 

Books we read - These are the 2 books which we read which are related to rainbow.

What Makes a rainbow by Betty Ann SchwartzThis book is a hit with Javier. There is a speical feature in this book which truly intrigue Javier. As this book cover imply “ A magic Ribbon Book”,  every page, there is a different colour ribbon added to it to form a rainbow at the end of the book which makes the book so interesting. Javier like to touch the ribbon and repeat the colour after me whenever I am reading the book to him.

Planting a rainbow by Lois Ehlert This book is boring for Javier as he has no interest in flowers at all. All the different gardening process, seeds, bulb ,flowers…. seen in the book seem to lure Javier to lala land. :P  Thus this book was cast aside after being read once.

Learning Chinese - We read some books on Chinese, read a poem on a pig & a rabbit and recite a Tang Poem.

This is poem we read about a rabbit and a pig. Javier likes this poem alot, after 2 weeks of reading, he can recite part of the poem. So normally, I will read half of the verse and let him continue. He loves these 3 books. The plot for the 2 story books is entertaining and simple for young tods.

Continue Part II here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers