Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tongue Tie

Tongue tied is a term used to describe someone who is  unable to extend his tongue fully, or has a heart shaped appearance on the tip when sticking out the tongue. It is a condition that is caused by a short frenum that restricts tongue movement. For example, some people have difficulty licking around their lips or raising the tongue tip inside the mouth. This may affect speech to a certain extent and also cause some discomfort.

More information about Tongue Tie can be found here.

We have noticed that Javier has some problem sticking out his tongue fully and at the same time having a heart shape at the tip quite sometime ago. And was contemplating whether to bring him for some surgery to rectify this.  Until I met a friend whose kid has the same problem and has undergo the surgery, and talking much better now(he can’t really talk although he is coming to 2yo before the surgery) and seeming a much happier boy who yak none stop now.

Thus I decided to bring Javier to a GP in Admiralty whom my friend recommended me for some advice. After looking at Javier’s tongue, she confirmed that he is indeed tongue tie but not so serious as as to affect his speech (as she noticed that he can talk quite well) and had no problem with eating issues. But I mentioned to her that I noticed he has problem with words which sound like d, l. For example, he can’t say play, please clearly, from what I heard it sound like “pray” or “prease”.

 This is how his tongue looks like when sticking out. Notice the heart shape at the tip….

We got a referal letter from Dr Yim for an appointment with Dr Yap today.


When I explained to Javier that we would be bringing him to see the doctor today, he was full of questions for me.

Mummy: Today papa will pick you up early from school. ok?
Javier: Why?
Mummy: He need to bring you to see doctor.
Javier: Why I need to see doctor?
Mummy: Oh, because you cannot stick your tongue out properly, doctor need to check your tongue.
Javier: (Sticking out his tongue) See I can!
Mummy:??? (speechless)

He was pretty excited when we reached KK Hospital. The waiting area has a small toy area to keep the kids occupied while waiting for their turn. Luckily we did not have to wait too long for our turn.


After the check by the doctor, 2 things are needed to rectify the tongue tie.

1st:  Surgeon will surgically remove the band-like soft tissue (lingual frenum). As Javier is still young, he will undergo the surgery under general anesthesia.
Surgery will take about 30 mins, thereafter, he need to rest in hospital for 4-5hrs for the anesthetic to wear off before he can go home.

2nd: After the surgery, Javier need to go through speech therapy for about 6 months (this will be discuss more in depth after the surgery)


He needs to take a blood test prior to the surgery. He was feeling worried and scare when he heard the doctor mentioning it. So I make up a story about “blood test” to lessen his worry and fear. Luckily he was quick to ‘buy’ my story.

A numb gel is applied on his finger to minimise the pain of needle poking his tiny finger.


Self servicing to the biscuits at the counter when he saw the nurse refilling it into the container.

 
The surgery is schedule on the 24 October 2011 which I am still thinking of how to explain it to him so as to assure him and reduce his fear.

15 comments:

  1. Javier can speak well, is there really nid to go thru that? so heart pain to see them such a young age have to go for surgery..did doc said it will correct itself when he grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put Ally through surgery twice before and this is how I explain it to her. I tel her that she'll need to sleep for a while so the doctor can fix____ and that when she wakes up I will be right by her side. At KKH they allow one parent to accompany their child into the OT. Let him bring a favourite toy with him but most importantly you need to remain calm yourself. Dont be surprised at how they look once they are under GA, they will seem so tiny on that big operating table and you'll feel like crying when you leave him there, it's all very normal. Just be emotionally prepared. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi CY, my younger son has went through a surgery. It was more traumatic for me than for him. My boy is very sensitive and cautious. I knew he would be very uncomfortable at the hospital. This is what I did:

    I explained to him that he need to sleep for a surgery but I didn't tell him what so he wouldn't be conscious of it. (he had water in his testics)

    I tried to tell him the procedure, go to the hospital, wear a robe, use a mask. (i think there are 2 way to put him to sleep, injection or mask. he is not scared of injection but the nurses couldn't find his vein and he was poked 4 times and didn't cry. they gave up and we used the mask. If you have to use the mask, be prepared the kid will struggle. I asked that the nurses not to hold him as they were all ready to pin him down and that scares him. I also ask to hold the mask.)

    I tried to describe how an operating theatre would look like, it's big with lots of machines in it, big lights, what the nurses and doctors would be wearing, caps and masks, etc.

    I find that what I did helped a lot as he doesn't like unfamiliar places. The doctors and nurses were very surprised how calm he was when we were inside. The doc told me a lot of kids this young would already be crying and distressed when they enter the OT. Good luck. The surgery would passed in a a few hours, the aftercare is the tough part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm how about tearing up one of his soft-toy secretly and DO A MOCK UP surgery! and sew up the soft toy with him as the 'assitant' doctor!! Of course mockup with flash light etc like in hospital?? That would be fun for him? At least it would be easier to explain to him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies,

    I really appreciate the kind and useful advices that your have drop down here. Indeed it is not an easy decision for me to let him go through this surgery. Though it may seems a really minor one, but what as 2monkeygems mentioned, I think looking at the fragile and tiny boy lying on the op table under GA, I really don't think I can hold back my tears. (even thinking about it now, brought tears to my eyes)

    I have friends, close neighbors or even MIL asking me whether it is really necessary for me to let Javier go for this op? I feel that it would be easier to do it while he is younger.

    In this past, I kept telling myself that as he grow older this problem will correct itself. However this problem get much noticeably since he started his kindy this year, sometimes when I tried to correct his words, he tend to get very frustrated as he can't says it no matter how he tried. And I have also been getting feedback from his class teacher about it.

    To prepare him, I have already tried talking about this sugery to him since yesterday. Explaining to him, doctor got to let him sleep first, and after which what the doctor would do to him. Which doctor would be doing it for him. And reassuring him that I would be by his side when he wakes up....

    ee: I think it’s a great idea to to do a mock up surgery with him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CY, I understand how difficult it is for you. Do what you feel is right for your child. You must be strong and calm. Javier rely on you for support. I broke down when I left the OT and worse when I see him after the op. If your child is a sensitive boy like my mine, I would suggest not going into too much details. Generalize the whole process. It can be very scary for my son if I tell him. "the doctor is going to cut a hole in you, drain the water and sew it back up". haha... :P All the best to you and Javier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya I think you can make it sounds like a 'adventure'. Guess with your years of experience you can think of something about a hero being hurt then need to patch up or what hahaha. He will think of himself as a hero rather than a victim and brave through it! Kids need alot of 'stories' to motive them huh! ... Cheer up yah! He sure can sense your 不安!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Choon Yen, I don't know what to comment. But all I could gather from this post that you are a brave mother!

    I am very sure this will sail on smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are his mom, you know what's best for him. I'm sure you've made the right though decision for your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear all,

    Once again thanks for the encouraging words. Since decision has already been made. I try not to think about it anymore. Instead, what is more important for us now is to gettig javier to be mentally aware that he would be going for the op and reducing his fear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, how was your son's aftercare after the surgery? Very painful? Took how long to recover? My girl 6 years old, will need to go thru this operation next two days, I am really feel so heart pain.:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anonymous: Javier just had his operation today, thus can't really advice on how long it would take to recover. The doctor told me that roughly it will take 2 weeks to completely recover.

    After the surgery, Javier was in very great pain and shivering badly (shivering due to the GA), but after giving him some pain killer, though he still complain of pain, but I can see that the pain is much lesser. At least he managed to doze off and slept for a while.

    I can feel your pain, I have just gone through the heartpain myself, as the GA was administered into him, and he started to slip into unconsciousness, my tears just couldn't stop. But no matter what we have to be strong for our kids, we can definitely do it.

    Will pray for your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi JJ mummy, my girl done her ops this morning. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Wish our children can have speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter is 4 and has had a speech problem but I have been working with her on it at home. I didn't want her labeled with something so I just worked it through. Anyway tonight we were just goofing around and I noticed her tongue was shaped a little different. I got her to stick it out and try to make it pointy and it made a heart shape. It's not as extreme as your little guys but it's noticeable. People have asked me before if she was tongue tied but I thought that meant she wouldn't be able to stick her tongue out. Anyway after she went to bed I phoned my mom crying because I feel like such a horrible mother. I feel like I should have caught it sooner. I think I am a pretty observant person. I've spent most of the night crying about it. She is a very shy little girl and I feel very anxious about the whole thing because I don't know what to expect, how she will react etc. Thanks for the information on your post - It doesn't do anything to help my anxiousness (and I doubt anything would) but it's good to be able to read a first hand experience. Thank you. - Janelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers