Saturday, November 6, 2010

Learning Parts of Tree

I thought it would be more fun to do some activities with the boys to introduce them to parts of a tree. I got the idea of doing of “Parts of Trees” booklet from here.

I prepare 2 "Parts of Trees" booklet activity for them to do with one set of control card for reference. You can see it set up in the photos below.

These are the materials which I have prepared. Firstly, I sticked the control cards on the wall and explain to them the different parts of a tree. I let the boys do the the activities themselves from the cutting, pasting and colouring themselves. Jayden cutting the word labels.

They can do most of the activities themselves, just that Javier need some assistance from me for the colouring of the tree and cutting.These are the word labels which Javier cut mostly by himself. Whereas for Jayden, he did the activity all by himself.The word labels cut by Javier.Javier using the gluestick. Javier colouring his “leaves” page. The completed booklet by Jayden

The completed work by Javier.

In conjunction to the Parts of a tree learning, we read a book about a tree.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

This is a beautiful and sad story of unconditional love between a tree and a boy, in which the tree is generous and gives of itself to help the boy whenever he is in trouble.

Perhaps my boys are still too young to really understand the morale of the story now but nevertheless they enjoyed this book. (This is a much debate book whether it is suitable for children to read.)

Personally, I really admired the tree in giving all she has to a boy she loved just so that he would be happy. (Doesn’t it sound like what a mother would do for her child?)

1 comment:

  1. Good Montessori activity. I will definitely try out one day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers